Re: who/what uses robots.txt

Erik Selberg (selberg@cs.washington.edu)
22 Nov 1996 13:56:09 -0800

m.koster@webcrawler.com (Martijn Koster) writes:

> At 2:40 PM 11/21/96, Erik Selberg wrote:
>
> >Of course that leaves things that an author considers a "bar" an out
> >not to follow a standard, even if other folks consider it a "foo."
>
> But at the end of the day we cannot force authors to follow the
> standard even if they themselves would agree it is in fact a foo.
>
> So you haven't really lost anything.
>
> You can only get so far with a BNF -- the rest has to be gentle (?)
> persuasion :-)

ah, but it's far easier to persuade when you can say "See, you fit our
clear definition of a Foo, support our standard" versus "I think
you're a foo, even though you do not, so support our standard."

Better get it right the first time then always patching holes that
people weasel out of.

-Erik

--
				Erik Selberg