Re: defining "robot"

David M Banes (dbanes@ozemail.com.au)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:30:15 +1100

HipCrime wrote:

> Hi David ...
>
> Would be happy to use your definitions.
>
> > If a human is controlling an application it's not a robot
>
> ActiveAgent is driven by human. It has various controls which
> allow its operator to determine the crawl-path (in real-time),
> and further controls to allow the mailing feature to be turned
> on/off during the run. Moreover, it has three (3) exclusion
> lists which allow the human-driver to easily ignore names, sites,
> or addresses that're of no interest or have been previously visited.
>
> So, by your own definition, ActiveAgent is NOT a robot. Yes, it's
> a "puppet", but my preference is to use the word "agent".
>
> ... Robert

But! As soon as you wander off and leave it running on it's own it
becomes a Robot.

And I really think we should get back to the matter(s) in hand and all
those involved should continue to take a mature and responsible attitude
towards defining the/a new standard. As well as general usefull
discussion about robots.

David

--
 email:dbanes@ozemail.com.au       CServe - 100446.102@compuserve.com