defining "robot"

HipCrime (HipCrime@HipCrime.com)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:32:26 -0800

Erik Selberg <selberg@cs.washington.edu> wrote:

> True, although by adding categories, we can define "robot" as
> anything non-human, e.g. proxies, page watchers, indexers, etc.

By that definition, Netscape Navigator and any other hypertext
browser is "non-human". How much human interaction with the
program is required, to define its actions as "human"? Or, how
much autonomy must a program be allowed, for it to be defined as
"robotic"?

This is another important issue. And, it must be addressed
*before* any kind of "standard" can be discussed, much less
applied and adhered to.

... Robert