Re: Standard?

Brian Clark (bclark@radzone.org)
Thu, 28 Nov 96 23:10:54 -0500

-- [ From: Brian Clark * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

admin@superhot.com wrote:

>... to get your ideas/stardards accepted there must be a *cost vs.
>benefit* analysis. *Why* should someone incorporate these
>*standards/suggestions*? What is the benefit to them if they do?
>What is the cost if they don't? If the answers to the latter two
>questions approach - none/none - then there will never be acceptance.

Interesting coming from you ... you're a porn merchant who is utilizing the
"voluntary content rating" systems of Surf Watch, CyberSitter and Net Nanny.
I wonder what the benefit of supporting those voluntary standards (which
just keep users out of your webspace -- no real benefit to you) ... there's
no real cost associated in not supporting them. Hmmm... sounds like a
"none/none" approach that you sill chose to support.

It could be that you see the overall value of such a standard and therefore
are supporting it. Or perhaps you just think it will save you from a lawsuit
if a Tennesse police officer decides to charge you on distributing porn to
minors.

Brian