Re: Standard?

(Ambassador@FourthWorld.com)
Mon, 2 Dec 96 09:03:44 -0000

>>From an environmental standpoint, far from trying to prohibit *junk email*
>it should be a national imperative and a congressional mandate that all
>commercial marketeers *must* use electronic messages and immediately cease
>and desist the planet destroying snail mail practices.

Please check your premise:

This non-squitur is predicated on the specious notion that junk
advertising is a social necessity for which we are required to find the
least-cost method of delivery.

Any form of unsolicited advertising in which the recipient incurs an
expense is simply wrong.

Now, if junk emailers want to write me a check for $0.32 for each piece
o' junk they bog my time and server down with, I might be willing to
negotiate.

Beyond this, _never_ expect anyone to pick up someone else's tab without
at least asking first. Forcing recipients to to incur expenses of both
time and money is unjustifiable by any means. It does not matter that
the cost the user is forced to incur for each individual message is
realtively small; the principal remains the same, and the costs are
multipled by the number of accounts and spam one gets. I lose roughly
one otherwise-billable hour each week to spam-cleaning, every week, all
year long.

- Richard Gaskin
Fourth World
Software Tools for SuperCard, Director, HyperCard, OMO, and more....
Mail: Ambassador@FourthWorld.com
US: (800) 288-5825
Int'l: (213) 225-3717
Fax: (213) 225-0716