Junkie-Mail was Re: Standard?

John D. Pritchard (jdp@cs.columbia.edu)
Mon, 02 Dec 1996 12:41:38 -0500

> This non-sequitur is predicated on the specious notion that junk
> advertising is a social necessity for which we are required to find the
> least-cost method of delivery.
>
> Any form of unsolicited advertising in which the recipient incurs an
> expense is simply wrong.

Resolved: "Any form of unsolicited advertising is simply wrong"

this position is easily justified in the advertising context by noting that
the internet provides for narrow casting which obviates junkie-mail.
narrow casted hits have orders of magnitude more advertising value than
others.

unsolicited email will not last. we have it today because we're inept at
exploiting the power of the wwweb. once wwweb power is well understood
only the least sophisticated advertiser will want to send junkie-mail. and
then, hopefully, they're professional employs will explain why it's no good
and ineffective.

we're wasting our time if we're not developing narrow casting.

this list is about agents, right?

-john