Re: Standard?

Randy Fischer (fischer@ucet.ufl.edu)
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 14:01:37 -0500

> I'm not quite sure how enforcible a ban on junk email would be. How is
> the US government going to prosecute a spammer based in taiwan or brazil?

Not enforcable at all. Not that I'm a proponent of Uncle Sam trying
to regulate the Net. Most old hands will tell you the Internet works
best as a self-governing community. Whether that will survive its
current growth is an open question.

One of these `self-governing' features has been for recipients to
complain stridently to the originator of the mail, as well as their
ISP's postmaster, root and abuse mail addresses (it is usually easy to
get all this information). Using the whois service to find the
contact for the domain is a good idea as well. I always include a
copy of the offending material.

If it truly is out of line, the flood of negative mail hits the ISP
where it hurts: in their pocketbook (time wasted reading/anwering
mail, perhaps a transient denial of service to their users as their
mail spool fills up with complaints, and most of all, they can get bad
names as network administrators). Most ISP user agreements I've seen
usually disallow email spams, and the offending parties are booted
from the system.

It doesn't always work that way. Hit that delete key and move on.

But this is all off topic. Hit that delete key...

Randy Fischer