Re: email address grabber

Jeff Drost (jeff@creeping.ivy.net)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:39:20 -0500 (EST)

I realize the evils of automatic mailers, however I justify this to
myself buy good design. I indent to make this bot slow and carefull not
to email people that aren't looking for that kind of email. I plan to
seed it with a job database web service. I will definately include
provissions to prevent the same message from being sent to the same
machine more than once (ie. same machine, different users). Because this
is a bot, and it will be viewing a large number of pages, I will be able
to be quite restrictive in the way I choose email addresses, in order to
prevent my messages from getting to people who don't want it. This
entire project of mine is modivated buy the following Csh script...

# C - Shell mailer for getting a job
foreach address (`uniq address.jobs`)
mail -s" internship inquery - computer science major" $address <
resume.txt e
cho mailing $address ....
end

I searched the web databases manually, and cut and pasted the email
addresses into the file address.jobs. Of the 170 or so addresses I
mailed, about 50 returned undeliverable, 40 were replyed to
automatically, I received about 30 hand typed messages, 10 phone calls,
and probably 25 postcards and letters. I consider that to be excelent
results from something that took me very little time. I wouldn't tell a
perspective employer that is what I did, they want you to have a special
interest in their company. In any case, granted, I would have to say that
if everyone did this, then it would really piss some people off, but on
the other hand, it is near impossible to achive greatness without
being excessive. It's easy to tear down the idea, however that won't
change it's potential impact.

Just my $0.02,
Jeff Drost