Re: email address grabber

Robert Raisch, The Internet Company (raisch@internet.com)
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 11:07:58 -0400

Jeff Drost cheerfully proclaims:

> I realize the evils of automatic mailers, however I...

...plan on ignoring what I know to be wrong and inconvenience
others simply because I am too lazy to find employment the way others
have, through hard work.

<snip>

> Of the 170 or so addresses I
> mailed, about 50 returned undeliverable, 40 were replyed to
> automatically, I received about 30 hand typed messages, 10 phone calls,
> and probably 25 postcards and letters. I consider that to be excelent
> results from something that took me very little time...

...and that is the real benefit, to save me time. In fact, I'm
considering starting a new business, selling flowers that I harvest
from other people's gardens. It is a marvelous opportunity and
saves me the time and money it takes to accomplish the same goals
through more traditional means.

> I wouldn't tell a
> perspective employer that is what I did, they want you to have a special
> interest in their company...

...because I am not only lazy and inconsiderate, I am also
disingenuous. I certainly wouldn't want a perspective(sic) employer
to realize that I take any means whatsoever--including outright
lying--to reach my personal goals, rather than consider the needs
and interests of my employer.

> In any case, granted, I would have to say that
> if everyone did this, then it would really piss some people off, but on
> the other hand, it is near impossible to achive greatness without
> being excessive...

...one has only to look at history to realize that truly great
people always push the limits of acceptable practice. Just look at
Hitler, Stalin, or Pol-Pot.

> It's easy to tear down the idea, however that won't
> change it's potential impact.

(And sadly, Jeff, you are certainly right about this statement. It
won't change the rape and pillage of other's online rights. It
won't halt the rabid clear-cutting of the value of e-mail. It won't
convince government that we can manage our own affairs, that we
don't need new, highly restrictive laws to hobble free speech.
<deep fretful sigh>)

> Just my $0.02,

(And worth every penny, I'd say.)

(Quite frankly, Jeff, I'd do something about my spelling, word choice
and grammar before I program another line of code. Employers seem
to favour those who can ably express themselves. They're funny that
way. I don't suppose you'd consider a class in Ethics as well?)

> Jeff Drost

</rr> Robert Raisch
Chief Scientist
The Internet Company