Re: Need help on Search Engine accuracy test.

Nick Arnett (narnett@Verity.COM)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:12:56 -0800

At 11:59 AM 1/29/97 -0500, HiPromote@aol.com wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I need help. I don't understand how the "recall" comes out , or how does
>Excite know the total of the relevant documents in other services ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Yaokun
>Yaokun@aol.com
>

>(http://www.excite.com/ice/precision.html)
>Excite has the highest recall and the highest precision of any
> search engine currently available. How do we know?

[snip]

Think of it this way -- recall is a measure of whether or not the engine
finds *all* of the relevant documents, or misses some. The definition on
the Excite page makes this a bit muddy, but if you read the whole paragraph,
it becomes clearer. Similarly, precision is a measure of whether or not the
engine *only* finds relevant documents.

Nick

Verity Inc.
Connecting People with Information

Product Manager, Categorization and Visualization
408-542-2164; home office 408-369-1233; fax 408-541-1600
http://www.verity.com