Re: "hidden text" vs. META tags for robots/search engines

Martin Kiff (mgk@webfeet.co.uk)
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 06:55:50 +0200

At 10:48 AM 9/6/96, Todd Sellers wrote:
>I am web content provider, and I've been using the
> <META NAME="description" CONTENT="...">
>and
> <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="word1 word2 word3 ... wordn">
>tags to assist robots in indexing my content in search engines.

I know that <META HTTP-EQUIV="..."...> is supposed to encompass <META
NAME="..."...> (and that few, if any, HTTP servers do actually serve
this information in a HEAD request) but anybody know whether search
engines treat NAME and HTTP-EQUVI equivalently?

--
Martin Kiff
  mgk@webfeet.co.uk