Re: "hidden text" vs. META tags for robots/search engines

Davide Musella (davide@jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:21:43 -0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Martin Kiff wrote:

>At 10:48 AM 9/6/96, Todd Sellers wrote:
>
>I know that <META HTTP-EQUIV="..."...> is supposed to encompass <META
>NAME="..."...> (and that few, if any, HTTP servers do actually serve
>this information in a HEAD request) but anybody know whether search
>engines treat NAME and HTTP-EQUVI equivalently?

Actually the HTTP-EQUIV attribute does not encompass the NAME attribute,
the Wilbur dtd allow to use both NAME and HTTP-EQUIV to define the same
metainformation
ex: <meta http-equiv="keywords" name="keywords" content="a ,b ,c">
and I've never found a robot that implement the HTTP-EQUIV equivalence or
the HTTP-EQUIV feature.
We have worked, and we are working, in this direction;
we have patched the Apache 1.0 httpd so to handle the HEAD (working
at http://jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it/) request and we
are developping a robot based on this feature
(http://jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it/Robot/)
but all this it's only an explorative - technical research

Davide

Davide Musella
Institute for Multimedia Technologies, National Research Council, Milan, ITALY
tel. +39.(0)2.70643271 fax. +39.(0)2.70643292
e-mail: davide@jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it http://jargo.itim.mi.cnr.it/