Re: defining "robot"

Art Matheny (matheny@usf.edu)
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:03:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, HipCrime wrote:

> Erik Selberg <selberg@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > True, although by adding categories, we can define "robot" as
> > anything non-human, e.g. proxies, page watchers, indexers, etc.
>
> By that definition, Netscape Navigator and any other hypertext
> browser is "non-human". How much human interaction with the
> program is required, to define its actions as "human"? Or, how
> much autonomy must a program be allowed, for it to be defined as
> "robotic"?

I must have missed something! Does Netscape Navigator check the robots.txt
file to see whether it can fetch a page? I was under the impression that
an agent is a robot if its creators *say* it's a robot. (Of course, it
might take some friendly persuasion from the entire WWW to convince them
that what they have constructed is in fact a robot.)

--
 LLLL  LLLLL LLLLLL  Arthur Matheny       LIB 612
LL  LL LL  LL  LL    Academic Computing   University of South Florida